Where was the most inopportune place you’ve fallen asleep?
Don’t have an answer? Then how about the most inopportune time you’ve fallen asleep or nodded off? What happened? What—or who—woke you up?
This one is . . . the impossible question! I don't fall asleep very easily, I guess. My problem is that I don't wake up very well. For example:
Our train had been late returning from our Montana trip of 1988. We had gotten in at about 5:30 a.m., and I had hunkered down for some sleep. Of course, at 8:30, *ring ring* goes the phone.
I answered, sort of. The voice on the other end of the line wanted to sell me insurance.
"How'd you call me on the train?" I asked. If you've ever done a cross-country train trip you may have experienced the "bounce effect" that lasts for awhile after riding the rails. I was dead serious. I thought I was bouncing on the train, and for the life of me couldn't figure out how this dude and I were connecting.
The voice tried to explain that he wanted to make an appointment to stop by and sell me insurance.
"Well, okay, but I sure would like to know how you got on this train." I was zoned.
Guess what . . . he never showed.